Sunday, September 9, 2012

New Pendant Light

I have been looking for a cheap pendant light cover that I could live with in my home for about 4 months. Our old one was dated and ugly. (Sorry, no before picture.)

Last week I found this tutorial and decided to give it a try. When I told my husband what I wanted to do he thought I was crazy and that it would look awful, but I convinced him to let me give it a try and we could keep it or go back to the old, ugly cover if my DIY attempt failed.

After a couple of shopping trips I collected the list of supplies. This past Friday a bunch of my girlfriends were getting together for a Ladies Night In to craft and hang out. (We're a wild bunch, I tell you.) I took along my supplies and got to work. For the most part I followed the instructions in the tutorial. I found it was easiest to do as the author did and put the glue on my gloved hand and run the string through the glue as I wrapped it around the ball. The tutorial says that it will take one container of glue but I used nearly two. It also said I would need 900ft of hemp string, but I only used 400ft because the globe was already looking pretty full and I wanted the light to be able to escape easily.

I did make one other small change. My pendant hangs from a 15 foot (at least!) ceiling and I didn't want to have to borrow a ladder to climb all the way to the top to detach the electrical wires so I could put the pendant kit through one of the small openings in the ball. Instead, I left an opening at the top of the globe that would fit just the plastic piece that the light bulb would screw into. I put the new hemp globe over that plastic piece, then I took a metal ring that was holding on the old glass pendant cover and screwed it on so that it was holding my new hemp globe in place. I put the light  bulb back in and called my skeptic husband to come look at my work.

He approves! I get to keep it! I must say I am really proud of myself for deciding to give this one a try and figuring out how to make it work with the pendant kit I already had hanging from my ceiling. I love the change it makes in our entryway. What do you think? Do you like my new pendant shade?


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! By the way, I meant to comment on your blog and forgot. I love your extra long curtains! Such a great idea to use tablecloths!

      Delete
  2. It looks great!! Did you use a ball?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. A lovely pink princess ball. Evan is so excited to play with it now that I removed it from the inside of the globe. lol!

      Delete